7 Tips from Dentists on Teeth Whitening
Just like everyone else you want to have the brightest and whitest teeth ever possible. However, it is important to have a dental examination to ensure that your mouth is healthy. That the problem such as cavities and gum disease need to be addressed and treated before you do your teeth whitening. Why is this the case? “Teeth whitening that is peroxide-based is meant to whiten the innermost layer, not the structure inside the tooth near the nerves,” based on Jennifer Jablow, a cosmetic dentist in New York City. In this article on teeth whitening by Wellaholic and curated by Tropika Club, we are going to share with you the Top 7 things that dentists wish you would know before you start your teeth whitening treatment.
Table of Contents
- No Time to Read? Here’s a Snappy Summary of This Article
- TIP #1: GET AN EXAMINATION FIRST BY A DENTIST
- TIP #2: WATCH WHAT PASSES THROUGH YOUR LIPS
- TIP #3: YOU MAY NEED MORE THAN ONE TREATMENT TO SEE THE BEST RESULTS
- TIP #4: THERE IS A LIMIT TO WHAT TOOTHPASTES CAN DO
- TIP #5: FAKE TEETH MAY NOT WHITEN
- TIP #6: NOT ALL TEETH STAINS ARE EASY TO REMOVE
- TIP #7: YOU CAN WHITEN TEETH EVEN IF YOU HAVE BRACES
- UP TO 12 SHADES WHITER WITH TEETHWHITE
- Meanwhile, Check Out Tropika Club’s Ecosystem of Websites
No Time to Read? Here’s a Snappy Summary of This Article
- Brush your teeth twice a day with a whitening toothpaste that contains fluoride and abrasives to remove stains and protect your enamel.
- Floss daily to remove plaque and bacteria that can cause tooth decay and discoloration.
- Avoid or limit foods and drinks that stain your teeth such as coffee, tea, red wine, berries, and sauces. Rinse your mouth with water after consuming them.
- Quit smoking or using tobacco products that can damage your oral health and make your teeth yellow or brown.
- Visit your dentist regularly for check-ups and professional cleaning that can remove tartar and polish your teeth.
- Consider whitening treatments such as bleaching trays, strips, or in-office procedures that can lighten your teeth by several shades. Consult your dentist before using any whitening products to ensure they are safe and effective for you.
- Maintain good oral hygiene and habits to keep your teeth white and healthy for longer. Follow the instructions of your dentist and use the products as directed. Avoid over-whitening that can cause sensitivity or damage your enamel.
TIP #1: GET AN EXAMINATION FIRST BY A DENTIST
Having a dental checkup before your teeth whitening treatment is highly recommended. This is because you might be having dental problems such as cavities and gum diseases. If the enamel is not intact due to teeth or gum diseases, or because of cavities or other damage, the teeth whitening gel which is peroxide-based may leech into the nerve tissues and cause irreversible damage. In short, always ensure you have healthy teeth before heading into a Teeth whitening treatment.
TIP #2: WATCH WHAT PASSES THROUGH YOUR LIPS
Certain food and beverages such as coffee, tea, wine or even blended juices can cause tooth discoloration. Other foods such as dark soy sauce or even curry may also cause staining to the teeth. By limiting these foods, it will help your teeth stay as white as possible post procedure. Otherwise, remember to brush your teeth and wipe then clean after consuming coffee or tea. A consistent habit will help you to save your teeth from getting stained again. Also, do consider eating more foods such as cauliflower, strawberries, seeds and nuts as they may help to whiten teeth and also speed up the whitening process naturally.
TIP #3: YOU MAY NEED MORE THAN ONE TREATMENT TO SEE THE BEST RESULTS
If you want to maintain your newly whitened teeth, you may require consistent commitment and maintenance. This is to prevent your sparkle from losing its lustre. Also, tying up with tip #2, by having regular maintenance sessions for teeth whitening, you can combat the staining that happens from staining foods and beverages. At Wellaholic, they offer TeethWhite™ Unlimited, which offers 4 weekly treatments a month. This is very popular with our customers who are working to whiten their teeth several shades at a time, as well as to maintain their teeth’s whiteness.
TIP #4: THERE IS A LIMIT TO WHAT TOOTHPASTES CAN DO
You might have seen many toothpaste brands these days, advertising and touting their “special whitening effects”. Unfortunately, health regulations limit the bleaching or peroxide content made available on these toothpastes. In addition, the toothpaste is not on the teeth long enough to be effective, and they will not intrinsically change the internal colour of your teeth effective.
TIP #5: FAKE TEETH MAY NOT WHITEN
The majority of veneers, crowns and fillings will not brighten or whiten with teeth whitening treatments. This is based on a study by the American Dental Association. Hence, if you are planning to whiten your teeth, you have to be prepared for a mismatch of colouring if you do not replace the older restorations. In any case, always inform your dentist or consultant if you have any veneers, crowns or fillings for them to better advise you.
TIP #6: NOT ALL TEETH STAINS ARE EASY TO REMOVE
While teeth whitening is effective for most teeth, there is a cosmetic condition also known as “fluorosis”. Fluorosis refers to white spots or fine, chalk-like lines on the surface of your teeth. This is usually caused when your teeth were overexposed to fluoride in the earlier years of your life. These stains are very difficult to treat and may require multiple teeth whitening sessions to see good results.
TIP #7: YOU CAN WHITEN TEETH EVEN IF YOU HAVE BRACES
Yes, it is possible to have pearly whites even when you have braces. Depending on what kind of braces you have, some method may work better than others. Traditional braces, which have brackets that cover the front of your teeth, can limit your whitening options. Other types of braces, such as lingual or removable aligners do not obstruct the surface of the teeth, thus allowing for a more thorough whitening treatment to be completed. Those with braces should consider incorporating teeth whitening in their regular oral care routine.
UP TO 12 SHADES WHITER WITH TEETHWHITE
Wellaholic offers TeethWhite™, a premium teeth-whitening treatment in Singapore, using industrial-grade lamps, which can help whiten your teeth by up to 12 shades with immediate visible results. The primary ingredient in teeth whitening gel is generally Hydrogen peroxide or a close derivative called Carbamide peroxide. The molecules will become active when exposed to your teeth and with strong LED light, thereby helping to whiten your teeth thoroughly. You can see immediate whitening results right after the treatment.
TeethWhite™ is a teeth whitening treatment in Singapore which uses the LED blue wavelength light to activate our teeth whitening gel. The 6000 watt industrial lamp helps catalyse the whitening agent to speed up the reaction and causing free oxygen radicals to be formed. Any discoloured substances in the enamel (the top layer of the tooth) is then able to be removed effectively.
Find out more about TeethWhite at https://www.wellaholic.com/teethwhite.html.
If you want to have a brighter smile, you might be wondering how to whiten your teeth. There are many products and treatments that claim to make your teeth whiter, but not all of them are effective or safe. That’s why we asked some dentists to share their tips on how to whiten your teeth the right way. Here are seven tips from dentists on teeth whitening:
- The first tip is to brush your teeth twice a day with a whitening toothpaste. Whitening toothpastes have ingredients that can help remove surface stains and make your teeth look cleaner. They also have fluoride that can strengthen your enamel and prevent cavities. Look for toothpastes that have abrasives like silica or baking soda that can scrub away the stains. But don’t brush too hard or too long, as that can damage your enamel and gums.
- The second tip is to floss daily. Flossing can remove plaque and bacteria that can cause tooth decay and discoloration. Flossing can also reach the areas between your teeth that brushing can’t. By flossing daily, you can keep your teeth and gums healthy and prevent stains from forming.
- The third tip is to avoid or limit foods and drinks that stain your teeth. Some of the common culprits are coffee, tea, red wine, berries, and sauces. These foods and drinks have pigments that can stick to your enamel and make your teeth look dull or yellow. If you can’t give up these foods and drinks, try to rinse your mouth with water after consuming them. You can also use a straw to drink beverages that stain your teeth, so they don’t touch your front teeth as much.
- The fourth tip is to quit smoking or using tobacco products. Smoking or chewing tobacco can damage your oral health and make your teeth yellow or brown. Tobacco contains nicotine and tar that can stain your enamel and cause gum disease and oral cancer. Quitting smoking or using tobacco products can improve your overall health and make your smile more attractive.
- The fifth tip is to visit your dentist regularly for check-ups and professional cleaning. Your dentist can examine your teeth and gums and detect any problems that might affect your oral health or appearance. Your dentist can also perform a professional cleaning that can remove tartar and polish your teeth. A professional cleaning can make your teeth whiter and smoother than brushing alone.
- The sixth tip is to consider whitening treatments such as bleaching trays, strips, or in-office procedures. These treatments can lighten your teeth by several shades by using chemicals that break down the stains in your enamel. Bleaching trays and strips are available over-the-counter or from your dentist, and you can use them at home following the instructions. In-office procedures are done by your dentist using stronger bleaching agents and sometimes a light or laser to activate them. These procedures can give you faster and more noticeable results, but they are also more expensive and may cause more sensitivity or irritation.
- The seventh tip is to maintain good oral hygiene and habits to keep your teeth white and healthy for longer. Follow the instructions of your dentist and use the whitening products as directed. Don’t over-whiten your teeth, as that can cause sensitivity or damage your enamel. Avoid foods and drinks that stain your teeth, and brush and floss regularly. You can also use whitening mouthwashes or chewing gums that can help maintain the whiteness of your teeth.
These are some of the tips from dentists on how to whiten your teeth safely and effectively. By following these tips, you can achieve a brighter smile that you can be proud of. Remember, having white teeth is not only about aesthetics, but also about oral health and confidence.
If you want to learn more about teeth whitening or other dental topics, check out Tropika Club Magazine for more articles and tips. Tropika Club Magazine is a online platform that provides useful information on beauty, wellness, fitness, lifestyle, and more. You can also find the best deals and discounts on various services and products from our partners. Whether you want to book a spa session, a hair salon appointment, a fitness class, or a dental treatment, Tropika Club Magazine has got you covered.
So what are you waiting for? Visit Tropika Club Magazine today and discover how you can improve your well-being and happiness with our curated content and offers!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q: What are the benefits of teeth whitening?
A: Teeth whitening can improve the appearance of your teeth and smile by removing stains and discolouration caused by various factors such as ageing, smoking, food, drinks, or medication. Teeth whitening can also boost your self-confidence and self-esteem, as well as make a positive impression on others.
Q: What are the risks or side effects of teeth whitening?
A: Teeth whitening is generally safe and effective when done by a qualified dentist or under their supervision. However, some possible risks or side effects include tooth sensitivity, gum irritation, enamel erosion, uneven results, or over-whitening. These can be minimised by following the instructions of your dentist and using the products as directed.
Q: How long does teeth whitening last?
A: The duration of teeth whitening depends on several factors such as the type of treatment, the degree of whitening, your oral hygiene, and your lifestyle habits. Generally, teeth whitening can last from 6 months to 2 years, but it may fade over time due to exposure to staining agents. You can prolong the results of teeth whitening by avoiding or limiting foods and drinks that stain your teeth, brushing and flossing regularly, visiting your dentist for check-ups and cleaning, and using touch-up products as recommended by your dentist.
Q: How much does teeth whitening cost in Singapore?
A: The cost of teeth whitening in Singapore varies depending on the type of treatment, the clinic, and the dentist. According to NTUC Health Denticare, take-home teeth whitening kits start from $500, and in-office whitening treatments start from $900. Scaling and polishing during a regular dental check-up can range from $50 to $110. Porcelain veneers start from $720. You may also find cheaper or more expensive options from other dental clinics or online platforms.
Q: Are there any subsidies or insurance coverage for teeth whitening in Singapore?
A: Teeth whitening is considered a cosmetic procedure and is not covered by MediSave or most insurance plans. However, CHAS Blue, Merdeka Generation and Pioneer Generation card holders are entitled to CHAS subsidies for scaling and polishing respectively (up to twice per calendar year). You may also check with your dental clinic or insurance provider if they offer any discounts or promotions for teeth whitening.
Q: Where can I find the best teeth whitening services in Singapore?
A: There are many dental clinics that offer teeth whitening services in Singapore, but not all of them are equally qualified or experienced. You should look for a reputable dental clinic that has a team of professional dentists who are trained and certified in teeth whitening procedures. You should also compare the prices, reviews, and results of different clinics before making a decision. One of the dental clinics that you can consider is Tropika Club Dental Clinic, which offers affordable and effective teeth whitening services with a personalised approach. You can book an appointment online or call us at +65 1234 5678 to find out more.
Have an Article to Suggest?
Tropika Club is always looking for new and exciting content to feature in their magazine and they value the input of our readers. If you have any noteworthy content or articles that you believe would be a great addition to Tropika Club’s magazine, we are open to suggestions and encourage you to reach out to us via email at [email protected]. By doing so, Tropika Club values your expertise and knowledge in the matter and appreciates your willingness to help. We will review your recommendations and update our list accordingly
Meanwhile, Check Out Tropika Club’s Ecosystem of Websites
Tropika Club Magazine – Tropika Club Magazine is a Singapore-based publication that features articles on a wide range of topics with a focus on local businesses and content for the region. The magazine emphasizes supporting local businesses through its #SupportLocal initiative, which includes coverage of everything from neighborhood hawker stalls to aesthetic clinics in town. In addition to highlighting local businesses, Tropika Club Magazine also covers a variety of local content, including beauty, lifestyle, places, eats, and what’s on in Singapore and the Asia Pacific region.
Tropika Club Deals – Tropika Club Deals is a leading online deals and voucher shopping site in Singapore, offering amazing discounts on beauty, wellness, and fitness products and services. It’s the perfect platform for customers who want to discover the best deals without having to commit to a specific appointment date and time. These deals are available at major beauty stores, facial salons, hair salons, and other brands in Singapore, with no minimum spend required. Choose from guaranteed discounted deals in the categories of hairstyling, hair removal, facial & aesthetics, body slimming, brows & lashes, nails & makeup, massage & spa or fitness & wellness. Tropika Club Deals is also ideal for customers who want to buy vouchers as gifts or to use for the future. So whether you’re looking to save money on your next haircut or want to treat yourself to a relaxing massage, Tropika Club Deals has got you covered with the best voucher and coupon deals in Singapore!