Top 10 Best Merlot Red Wines in Singapore for Under $72
Take a sip of the Best Merlot Red Wines in Singapore. It’s one of the most-loved red wines out there. Merlot is often recommended as the first red wine someone new to red wine should drink. For American wine drinkers, it’s the second most popular wine, second after the sauvignon blanc. French for ‘The Little Blackbird’, Merlot is known its light style. It’s usually ripe, soft, and elegant. It goes well with both food, or you can have a glass of it on its own. Have a good a few of the best cheap merlot wine to wind down your day with the selections below.
Table of Contents
- 1. Villa Sandi Merlot Venezia 2018
- 2. Château d’Anvichar Rouge 2018
- 3. Lapostolle Cuvée Alexandre Merlot 2012
- 4. Château de la Rivière Fronsac 2011
- 5. Marques de Casa Concha Merlot 2017
- 6. Nicolas Maillart Platine Brut Champagne Premier Cru N.V.
- 7. Pio Cesare Moscato d’Asti 2019
- 8. Astoria Luxury Dry Kingdom Gold N.V.
- 9. Murganheira Super Reserva Bruto 2015
- 10. Grande Alberone Moscato Spumante Dolce N.V.
1. Villa Sandi Merlot Venezia 2018
Features: Intense ruby red and with a beautiful ripe fruit fragrance, the wine has heaps of blackberries, raspberries and red cherries. On the palate there’s rose, sage and a hint of white pepper. Tannins are smooth and round and altogether this a lovely little wine. Enjoy with lamb, chicken, pasta and charcuterie.
About Winery: The family Moretti Polegato, devoted to the culture of wine and the owner of Villa Sandi, promotes bases of the modern culture of the vines and has always been present in the area. The winery is well known around the world for its wines and in particular for its Prosecco.
Pricing: SGD 29.64
2. Château d’Anvichar Rouge 2018
Velvety with ripe, dark plum notes, a hint of oak and firm tannins
Bramble, black cherry and spice aromas
About Winery: Château d’Anvichar has just five hectares of 35 year old vines on a limestone plateau – ideal for concentrated fruit. Owned and run by Vincent Galineau, a third generation winemaker, it’s named after his three sons, Antoine, Victor and Charles. Matured for a year in French oak, this is an elegant, expressive claret. Decant a hour in advance and serve with roast red meats.
Pricing: SGD 39
3. Lapostolle Cuvée Alexandre Merlot 2012
Features: Plum, blackberry and boysenberry aromas show nuances of citrus peel and rubber band. On the palate, this is tight, mildly tannic and slightly astringent due to firm tannins. A mix of ripe blackberry and cassis flavors come with chocolaty oak in front of a hard-pushing, lightly herbal finish.
About Winery: Viña Lapostolle is a Chilean wine company, founded by Alexandra Marnier-Lapostolle and Cyril de Bournet in 1994. Alexandra Marnier-Lapostolle is great-granddaughter of Jean-Baptiste Lapostolle, early founder of French cognac company Grand Marnier.
Pricing: SGD 39.97
4. Château de la Rivière Fronsac 2011
Wine Spectator 89/100 – Vintage 2011
The bright cherry, black currant and plum fruit is lined with briary grip and backed by a lively, anise-tinged finish. Solid and fresh. Drink now through 2019. 11,500 cases made. — JM
Robert Parker 88/100 – Vintage 2011
The medium-bodied 2011 La Riviere reveals surprisingly good density along with lots of licorice and black currant notes intertwined with a steely earthiness. While it is not as perfumed or concentrated as the estate’s luxury cuvee reviewed below, it is a very good wine that can be enjoyed over the next 7-8 years.
About Wine: The red wine of Chateau de la Riviere is fermented in temperature-controlled stainless steel vats and aged in 30% new French oak for between 12 to 18 months, depending on the character and style of the vintage.
Pricing: SGD 37
5. Marques de Casa Concha Merlot 2017
Features: This very elegant wine presents tremendous aromatic expression with a predominance of small red fruit notes. It starts smooth and is friendly on the palate and continues with perfectly balanced flavours and a long finish, where the balance and delicacy of the tannins reappear with great expression of this vintage’s lively fruit.
- Aging: 18 months 50% in French oak barrels and 50% in 5,000-liter foudres.
- Food pairing: Red and white meats in classic, elegant preparations; pastas or legumes over intensely flavored sauces with beef, tomato, mushrooms, or bacon; mild terrines or pates, soft ripe and smoked cheeses.
- Deep, dark, and bright red
- Aromas of blackcurrants, wild berries, plums, and spices
Pricing: SGD 39
6. Nicolas Maillart Platine Brut Champagne Premier Cru N.V.
Features: This incredible Champagne comes from 9th-generation grower Nicolas Maillart on the Petite Montagne de Reims. It is 78% Pinot Noir, 16% Chardonnay, and 6% Meunier from the villages of Ecuiel, Villers-Allerand, and Bouzy. It is 40% barrel fermented and dosed at a very dry 6g/l. It has fabulous complexity and power, but also a pillowy lightness and a very fine bead. The nose to have a toasty quality reminiscent of panatone, and in the mouth it delivers lovely creamy flavors.
Pricing: SGD 34.99
7. Pio Cesare Moscato d’Asti 2019
Features: A semi-sweet wine, with flavours of honey, rich ripe fruit , aromatic on the palate, along with a frizzante finish. The nose is fresh. This wine is produced in very limit ed production. Since 1881, five generations of the Family have followed one another in guaranteeing and protecting continuity in the quality and style of Pio Cesare’s wines.
Grape Varietal – 100% Moscato
Region – Italy, Piedmont
Alcohol – 5%
Volume – 750ml
Pricing: SGD 48
8. Astoria Luxury Dry Kingdom Gold N.V.
Features: From the Vineyards of Farm Val de Brun, comes Astoria Luxury Dry Kingdom, with its yellow with greenish reflections. Its a sparkling elegance served in an ice bucket. with a clear-cut aromatic note. harmonious and dry taste.
Best served with 5 – 6° C, obtained in the ice bucket.
Rungo Liquors is a proud Exclusive importer of the Astoria Wines Brands in Ethiopia. the 9.5 cold Wines as part of the brand is unique addition to the Rungo Exclusives Collection.
Pricing: SGD 37.10
9. Murganheira Super Reserva Bruto 2015
- Intro: The Super Reserva Bruto is made from some of the finest grapes in the Beira region. With 2015 being an exceptional year this has made a superb gastronomic sparkling wine.
- Region: Beira, Tavora-Varosa D.O.C
- Winery: Murganheira
- Grapes: Malvasia Fina, Cerceal e Tinta Roriz
- Aging: 4 years in bottle with annual batonnage
- Tasting Notes: Clear with a fine and persistent bubble release. Clean citrus in colour. Very harmonious aromas with vanillic notes. In the mouth it is delicate and elegant with a lingering finish which is hallmark of its balance
- ABV: 13.2%
- Serving Temp: 8-10 °C
Pricing: SGD 49
10. Grande Alberone Moscato Spumante Dolce N.V.
- Gold yellow wine. It has a good intensity, a delicate aroma of honey typical of this variety. On the palate, it’s pleasantly sweet, well-balanced and harmonious.
- Taste Notes: Gold yellow wine. It has a good intensity, a delicate aroma of honey typical of this variety. On the palate, it’s pleasantly sweet, well-balanced and harmonious
- Country of Origin: Italy/ Piedmont
- Grape: Moscato.
- Type: Sweet Sparkling Wine
- Serving Temp: 6-8°C
- Alcohol: 6.5%
Pricing: SGD 32
Have a Place to Recommend?
We need your help! Do you know any other noteworthy eating places that deserves to be added to this list? If so, do write to us via our email at [email protected]. Tropika Club will do a review of your recommendations and update the list accordingly.
Meanwhile, check out Tropika Club’s Ecosystem of Websites
Tropika Club Magazine – Tropika Club Magazine crafts articles on all things Singapore, but with a greater emphasis on local businesses based on our #SupportLocalSG initiative. We check out and feature local businesses of all categories, ranging from your neighbourhood hawker stalls to the aesthetic clinics in town. We also cover local content ranging from beauty, lifestyle, places, eats and what’s on in SIngapore. Our Top 10 rankings include local food and service establishments based in different regions in Singapore.
Tropika Club Deals – Search for the best voucher and coupon deals. Tropika Club Deals is ideal for customers who want to discover the best deals without having to commit to a specific appointment date and time. Choose from guaranteed discounted deals in the categories of hairstyling, hair removal, facial & aesthetics, body slimming, brows & lashes, nails & makeup, massage & spa or fitness & wellness. Customers can also buy vouchers as gifts or to use for the future.