What Men Need to Know about Hair Removal
Experts report that more and more men are opting for the same grooming rights as women – including smooth body skin. “Most men don’t necessarily want it all removed, but increasingly they do want it thinned out, on their back and chest, for example,” says dermatologist David Goldberg, MD, who regularly performs laser hair removal on men. In this article from Wellaholic and curated by the Tropika Club team, we are going to share on the various options of hair removal for men.
No Time to Read? Here’s a Snappy Summary of This Article
- Why are Men Opting for Hair Removal: – Men opt for hair removal for various reasons, such as hygiene and reducing excess hair, preventing ingrown hairs, and improving sports performance.
- What are the Stages of Hair Growth: – The stages of hair growth are anagen, catagen, and telogen, which are different phases of development, transition, and shedding that occur simultaneously and independently for each hair follicle.
- Shaving for Hair Removal: – Shaving for hair removal is a common and versatile method that can be done with different types of razors, but it may not give the closest shave and it may cause skin irritation and itchiness.
- Waxing for Hair Removal: – Waxing for hair removal is a method that can remove unwanted hair from various body parts, but it is very painful and may cause skin damage and infection.
- Sugaring for Hair Removal: – Sugaring for hair removal is a method that uses a natural paste to pull out the hairs without sticking to the skin, which reduces pain, irritation, and breakage.
- How does Laser Hair Removal Work: – Laser hair removal is a method that uses laser light to destroy the hair root, which results in long-lasting hair reduction for various body parts, with minimal pain and side effects.
- How many Hair Removal Treatments are needed: – Hair removal treatments require six to eight sessions with four weeks interval to achieve 50 to 85 percent permanent hair reduction, depending on the body area and the hair growth cycle.
- Wellaholic Wellasmooth – Ultimate All-INCLUSIVE Hair Removal: – WellaSmooth™ is a comprehensive and convenient hair removal package in Singapore that offers unlimited SHR, shaving, and skin care services for all body parts.
Table of Contents
- No Time to Read? Here’s a Snappy Summary of This Article
- 1. WHY ARE MEN OPTING FOR HAIR REMOVAL?
- 2. WHAT ARE THE STAGES OF HAIR GROWTH?
- 3. SHAVING FOR HAIR REMOVAL
- 4. WAXING FOR HAIR REMOVAL
- 5. SUGARING FOR HAIR REMOVAL
- 6. HOW DOES LASER HAIR REMOVAL WORK?
- 7. HOW MANY HAIR REMOVAL TREATMENTS ARE NEEDED?
- 8. WELLAHOLIC WELLASMOOTH – ULTIMATE ALL-INCLUSIVE HAIR REMOVAL
- Meanwhile, Check Out Tropika Club’s Ecosystem of Websites
1. WHY ARE MEN OPTING FOR HAIR REMOVAL?
Excessive Body Hair and Aesthetics – Laser hair removal is appealing for men who are uncomfortable with excess hair on their back, chest, stomach, or all over. And let’s clear up a misconception: Laser hair removal doesn’t have to leave you looking like a hairless fitness model (unless you want it to). A lot of guys treat their chest, not because they want to get rid of their hair completely, but they like to thin it out they want it to be finer and sparser.
Ingrown Hairs – A lot of guys want to have less hair to make shaving easier, especially if they get ingrown hairs on their neck. Laser is the only way to effectively treat a condition called PFD, pseudofolliculitis barbae. Clusters of inflamed, red, or dark bumps will appear around hair follicles from shaving. Ingrown hairs cause red, often itchy bumps where a hair has grown back into the skin. There are things you can do to treat and prevent them and in most cases you will not need to a see a doctor or specialist for treatment. Essentially, they’re ingrown hairs that grow in all sorts of directions, which can leave scars.
Shaving and waxing can cause or exacerbate ingrown hairs. The shaving techniques described above can be applied to prevent or decrease the occurrence of ingrown hairs.
Sports – There are many cyclists who do their legs and lower bodies, too. A lot of body hair can cause added chafing and irritation when combined with tight cycling kits, sweat, and long ride times in the saddle. It also makes putting on compression tights, foam rolling, and massages easier and pain-free, since the hairs won’t get caught or tugged. Plus, it saves any athlete loads of grooming time. There’s no need to shave and prep their bodies before a race or competition, and it eradicates any risk of cuts and nicks from getting infected in a locker room or pool.
2. WHAT ARE THE STAGES OF HAIR GROWTH?
Hair and skin have more in common than you may think. Both skin and hair are made up of multi-layered flat cells whose rope-like filaments provide structure and strength to the hair shaft. Have you ever wondered why we find hair growing on some parts of our body and not others? this happens because human hair grows mostly everywhere on the body except for the eyelids, the lips, the palms of the hands and soles of the feet.
There is a specific growth cycle that hair, like skin, follows in its development. this is formed of three distinct and concurrent phases: anagen, catagen, and telogen phases which occur simultaneously. despite this, each hair follicle is completely independent of each other and while one strand of hair may be in the anagen phase, another may be in the catagen phase. it is this very process that prevents our hair from falling out all at once! the length of hair is also determined by very specific characteristics unique to each phase.
3. SHAVING FOR HAIR REMOVAL
Almost anyone wanting to remove unwanted hair is a candidate for shaving, males and females. It can be used to remove hair from large or small areas including the moustache, beard, eyebrows, legs, arms, underarms, bikini line and pubic area. Shaving can be done with a straight razor or safety razor (called ‘manual shaving’ or ‘wet shaving’) or an electric razor (called ‘dry shaving’) or beard trimmer.
Using an electric razor can be quick and convenient, but many guys find that it may not give the close and accurate shave that a standard razor can. Although using an electric razor is pretty easy (just turn it on and move it around your face), shaving with a standard razor has a few rules to follow. Apply a shave gel or foam lather it up and spread it all over to help hydrate hairs, improve razor glide, and help protect against irritation. Learn more here about why you need shaving cream, and the differences between shave gels and foams.
When you use a razor to get rid of visible hair on your skin, you’re not really removing all your hair you’re just cutting it off close to where it grows. Your hair follicles continue to grow hair underneath your skin, and shaving can cause those follicles to become irritated. It’s this irritation that makes you feel itchy after you shave.
4. WAXING FOR HAIR REMOVAL
Waxing is an option worth considering for controlling that unibrow, ear hair, or unwanted hair on the neck, legs, arms or underarms. Hair removal around the genitals is possible, but it’s also the most painful.
Of course, waxing is no walk in the park, and it will probably never be pain-free. If your pain threshold is remarkably low, you may want to look at the pros and cons of waxing and weigh them up against other hair removal methods. Or if you like the sound of waxing, you could prepare yourself with advice on your first wax to ensure it goes as smoothly as possible.
Jessica Krant, M.D. and Assistant Clinical Professor Of Dermatology at SUNY Downstate Medical Center in New York, spoke to The Huffington Post about the dangers of waxing the private regions. Dr. Krant said, “Waxing means truly ripping hairs out by their roots, and we all know or have heard that this is quite a painful process.” She went on to explain, “It hurts for only one reason: The hairs really are attached very firmly to their roots and are a part of our body. Pulling them out means tearing them out by the root. It leaves a tiny wound just under the surface.”
5. SUGARING FOR HAIR REMOVAL
Unlike waxing, sugaring only pulls out the hairs and doesn’t disturb the surface of the skin. Hot wax attaches to the hair and the skin, pulling skin cells with it as it is removed. This is not only painful, but can cause redness, swelling, inflammation, and even bruising, says dermatologist Howard Sobel, M.D . If the wax is too hot, it can also burn your skin, especially in sensitive areas. Sugaring is a more gentle method of hair removal as the paste does not stick to your skin it only attaches to the hair. This minimises the amount of irritation to the area and pain during the process. The sugar paste is also more malleable than hard wax, which allows it to get all the way down to the root. This makes it less likely to break off hairs at the surface.
6. HOW DOES LASER HAIR REMOVAL WORK?
Using laser light energy to penetrate the hair shaft, it actually kills the hair root. This doesn’t kill the follicle (the place where hair growth starts). So technically, another hair can grow in its place, but it’s difficult. That means results of laser hair removal last a fairly long time. Laser hair removal works great for the back, chest, stomach and shoulders. It’s also effective for your private parts. And, like electrolysis, laser treatments can also target specific hairs, helping to thin out certain areas. Laser hair removal seem to have the least side effects amongst the several hair removal methods. Because less pain is involved, this works well for facial hair removal too.
7. HOW MANY HAIR REMOVAL TREATMENTS ARE NEEDED?
A man’s back or chest will need six to eight treatments spaced roughly two months (approximate 4 weeks apart) apart to see visible results. We can only say the client will get permanent hair reduction, not permanent hair removal, because what happens is one follicle dies, but there might be another one next to it that may regenerate itself.
The laser is killing hairs in the growth stage; and the ones that are dead will shed after a few weeks. So by the time you go to your next appointment, the hairs that were in their growth stage are now in their dormant or dying stage. Overall, if you follow all the rules and get your treatments in the recommended time-frame, men can see anywhere from 50 to 85 percent permanent hair reduction.
8. WELLAHOLIC WELLASMOOTH – ULTIMATE ALL-INCLUSIVE HAIR REMOVAL
WELLASMOOTH™ IS YOUR ALL-INCLUSIVE HAIR REMOVAL IN SINGAPORE, COMPLETE WITH UNLIMITED SHAVING SERVICE AND POST-TREATMENT WHITENING / HYDRATING THERAPY
WHAT IS WELLASMOOTH™?
WellaSmooth™ is designed for an all-inclusive fuss-free full-body permanent hair removal experience, completed with all-that-you-require shaving service and our amazing Post-Treatment Therapy (PTT) with AfterGlow which helps with your skin whitening, hydrating and rejuvenation. Result? Smooth and glowing skin that will wow everyone. WellaSmooth™ is a laser hair removal for both men and women, by male and female therapists.
WellaSmooth™ is your ultimate all-inclusive hair removal treatment in Singapore complete with shaving and post-treatment care.
WELLASMOOTH™ INCLUDES ALL THE KEY HAIR REMOVAL SERVICES:
- SHR Permanent Hair Removal PRESTIGE Unlimited – Enjoy our bestseller SHR treatment for all body parts
- Unlimited Shaving Service – Enjoy unlimited shaving service on all body parts
- PTT with AfterGlow – Enjoy post-treatment whitening or hydrating therapy followed by AfterGlow red-light treatment
- Summary: Hair removal is a common and personal choice for men – The article has discussed the reasons, methods, tips, and benefits of hair removal for men, as well as the myths and dangers associated with it.
- Recommendation: Choose the best method for your needs and preferences – The article has suggested that men should consider various factors such as the area, the hair type, the skin type, the budget, and the personal preference when choosing the best hair removal method for them.
- Call to action: Try WellaSmooth™ for a hassle-free and effective hair removal experience – The article has introduced WellaSmooth™ as a comprehensive and convenient hair removal package in Singapore that offers unlimited SHR, shaving, and skin care services for all body parts.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q: What is the difference between hair reduction and hair removal?
A: Hair reduction means that the amount of hair is reduced by a certain percentage, but not completely eliminated. Hair removal means that the hair is completely removed and does not grow back.
Q: How long does laser hair removal last?
A: Laser hair removal can last for a long time, depending on the individual’s hair growth cycle, hormonal changes, and lifestyle factors. Some people may need touch-up sessions every few months or years to maintain the results.
Q: Does waxing or sugaring hurt more?
A: Waxing and sugaring both involve pulling out the hairs from the roots, which can cause pain and discomfort. However, sugaring is generally considered to be less painful than waxing, because it only sticks to the hair and not the skin, and it is applied at a lower temperature.
Q: What are the advantages of WellaSmooth™ over other hair removal methods?
A: WellaSmooth™ is a comprehensive and convenient hair removal package that offers unlimited SHR, shaving, and skin care services for all body parts. SHR is a fast, effective, and safe method of hair reduction that uses low-intensity pulses of light. Shaving is a simple and versatile method of hair removal that can be done with different types of razors. Skin care services include post-treatment whitening or hydrating therapy and AfterGlow red-light treatment, which help to improve the skin’s appearance and health.
Meanwhile, Check Out Tropika Club’s Ecosystem of Websites
Tropika Club Magazine – Tropika Club Magazine is a Singapore-based publication that features articles on a wide range of topics with a focus on local businesses and content for the region. The magazine emphasizes supporting local businesses through its #SupportLocal initiative, which includes coverage of everything from neighborhood hawker stalls to aesthetic clinics in town. In addition to highlighting local businesses, Tropika Club Magazine also covers a variety of local content, including beauty, lifestyle, places, eats, and what’s on in Singapore and the Asia Pacific region.
Tropika Club Deals – Tropika Club Deals is a leading online deals and voucher shopping site in Singapore, offering amazing discounts on beauty, wellness, and fitness products and services. It’s the perfect platform for customers who want to discover the best deals without having to commit to a specific appointment date and time. These deals are available at major beauty stores, facial salons, hair salons, and other brands in Singapore, with no minimum spend required. Choose from guaranteed discounted deals in the categories of hairstyling, hair removal, facial & aesthetics, body slimming, brows & lashes, nails & makeup, massage & spa or fitness & wellness. Tropika Club Deals is also ideal for customers who want to buy vouchers as gifts or to use for the future. So whether you’re looking to save money on your next haircut or want to treat yourself to a relaxing massage, Tropika Club Deals has got you covered with the best voucher and coupon deals in Singapore!