How to Deal with Excessive Hair Growth
Hirsutism is the medical term for excess hair growth. This can occur usually in places where hair can affect the appearance leading to decrease in self-confidence. Fortunately there are various ways to deal with this issue. In this article curated by Tropika Club, the team from Wellaholic will share on the symptoms and causes of excessive hair growth and the various ways to to treat it.
1. What is Hirsutism and Hypertrichosis?
In most of the situations, women only have very fine hairs on areas of the skin where men tend to have thicker hairs. This includes body regions like chest, back, abdomen as well as upper lips, chin and cheeks. Nevertheless, about less than 10% of women develop a condition called hirsutism. This condition leads to excessive hair growth in the above-mentioned areas. Also known as hypertrichosis, the hairs are not only excessive but can also be thick. This can cause embarrassment for the subject and usually lead to self-esteem issues. Fortunately there are way to combat this condition.
2. What are the symptoms of excessive hair growth?
Excessive hair growth do come with related symptoms, such as the following:
- Deep voice (raspy)
- Acne breakouts
- Abnormal menstrual periods or the lack of periods
- Increased muscle mass
- Decreased breast size
About 50% of women with hirsutism end up having elevated levels of male hormones. This is also known as androgens. This is usually caused by the following factors:
- Congenital adrenal hyperplasia. This is a set of disorders that affect the adrenal gland and therefore cause the body to product more angrogen.
- Polycystic ovary syndrome. This results in a hormonal imbalance, and may result in cysts forming on the ovaries.
- Tumours growing in the ovaries and adrenal glands.
- Other medications such as steroids, etc.
3. Are you likely to have excessive hair growth?
While it is unlikely, factors such as genetics may play a part in excessive hair growth. Also, certain race or ethnicity may see an increased likelihood of hirsutism. This includes woman from Middle Eastern, South Asian descent. Also, women facing menopause may have excessive hair growth.
4. What are the treatments for excessive hair growth?
There is a variety of treatments for excessive hair growth:
- Shaving – Shaving remains the most common method. However, it does not lead to permanent hair removal. Also, there is a tendency for the hairs to look thicker as they start to grow back.
- Waxing – Waxing as well as plucking is similar to shaving. It can be a painful process, and may sometimes irritate the skin.
- Depilatory creams – Such creams can help remove body hair. Nevertheless, due to the harsh chemicals used, it might irritate the skin.
- Laser hair removal – This uses a laser beam to target and damage the hair follicles. Wellaholic’s SHR Hair Removal is under this classification of hair removal treatments.
5. Are there medications to treat excessive hair growth?
Excessive hair growth can be controlled by some medication. This include the following:
- Vaniqu – Also known as eflornithine, this is a prescription cream that can be used to slow hair growth.
- Aldoctone and Proscar – These medications are able to block the androgenic hormone’s ability to adversely impact the body. However, it is not an immediate solution and may take months to see results.
6. Permanent Hair Removal with WellaSmooth
WHAT IS WELLASMOOTH™?
WellaSmooth™ is designed for an all-inclusive fuss-free full-body permanent hair removal experience, completed with all-that-you-require shaving service and our amazing Post-Treatment Therapy (PTT) with AfterGlow which helps with your skin whitening, hydrating and rejuvenating. Result? Smooth and glowing skin that will wow everyone. WellaSmooth™ is a laser hair removal for both men and women, by male and female therapists.
WellaSmooth™ is your ultimate all-inclusive hair removal treatment in Singapore complete with shaving and post-treatment care.
WELLASMOOTH™ INCLUDES ALL THE KEY HAIR REMOVAL SERVICES:
- SHR Permanent Hair Removal PRESTIGE Unlimited – Enjoy our bestseller SHR treatment for all body parts
- Unlimited Shaving Service – Enjoy unlimited shaving service on all body parts
- PTT with AfterGlow – Enjoy post-treatment whitening or hydrating therapy followed by AfterGlow red-light treatment
Find out more about WellaSmooth here.